Monday, January 4, 2010

THE TEMPTRESS

In my opinion, THE TEMPTRESS is one of the great motion pictures of the 20th Century. An epic, it stars GRETA GARBO as she became known under this screen name, and ANTONIO MORENO,that starts in Paris, goes to Argentina, and ends up in Paris(in the true ending,since there was an alternative ending to it). The film is based on a novel by Vicente Blasco Ibanez(Ybanez) and is controversial in quite a number of ways. The original film footage was lost and so much of,if not most of, the film was re-shot though pictures of the first filming exist to show some interesting things apparently. Another great film star from a great film family in this picture was John Barrymore. The movie could well be re-done if anyone had the time and effort and money needed to do it but, of course, minus the cast that really made it a great epic. This movie and the others like it nowadays would be seen as 'objectionable' or 'not suited for childlren'etc. and I am most lucky again that I was able to see a great many movies in my childhood that such labels would have kept me away from. Thanks to my parents and other relatives I was able to see a lot of movies from babyhood upwards! The only movies I couldn't see were those that were quarantined (polio,measles,etc.) or restricted to 18 or 21, like war atrocity movies which I later saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment